Two years of Doan Thi Huong’s trial by the Malaysian court

Two years of Doan Thi Huong's trial by the Malaysian court 0

Two years of Doan Thi Huong’s trial by the Malaysian court

New video revealed of suspected Kim Jong-nam lying motionless

Kim Chol lies motionless after being attacked at Kuala Lumpur airport in February 2017.

On February 13, 2017, a North Korean man complained to airport staff in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia that someone had grabbed him from behind and smeared liquid on his face.

The victim’s name on the passport is Kim Chol.

An autopsy showed that Kim Chol died from exposure to VX nerve agent, a deadly chemical banned by international treaties and classified by the United Nations as a weapon of mass destruction.

On February 18, 2017, Malaysian police arrested North Korean citizen Ri Jong-chol, believed to be a chemistry expert.

Meanwhile, North Korea said that the conclusion that VX poison was used in this murder is unreasonable.

On March 1, 2017, Huong and Siti Aishah appeared at the Sepang local court in Malaysia.

Malaysia also charged four North Korean men with murder, but these suspects left Malaysia to return home immediately after the murder.

A day later, Ri Jong-chol was released and deported from Malaysia due to lack of evidence linking him to the murder.

On October 2, 2017, the Shah Alam High Court began to trial Aisyah and Huong together.

On August 18, 2018, the judge asked the two women to participate in the defense after saying there was enough evidence to infer that they were involved in a `clearly planned plot` with four suspects who had fled.

Two years of Doan Thi Huong's trial by the Malaysian court

Siti Aishah was released after her trial in Malaysia on March 11.

During the trial to hear the defense of the two suspects on March 11, prosecutors withdrew the murder charge against Aisyah without giving a reason.

Indonesian officials said Aisyah’s release was the result of continuous high-level lobbying by Jakarta.

One factor that played a key role was the letter Indonesian Minister of Law and Human Rights Yasonna Laoly sent to Malaysian Justice Minister Tommy Thomas.

After  Siti was released, Doan Thi Huong’s lawyer requested a postponement of the trial and asked the prosecutor to also withdraw the murder charge against her.

Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Pham Binh Minh called Malaysian Foreign Minister Saifuddin Abdullah on March 12, asking Malaysia to ensure a fair trial and release Doan Thi Huong.

`Both Doan Thi Huong and Siti Aisyah were taken advantage of and dragged into the incident without knowing that their actions could lead to deadly consequences,` the letter said.

During the trial on March 14, the Malaysian prosecutor announced the decision of the country’s Attorney General to continue the case and not release Huong.

Two years of Doan Thi Huong's trial by the Malaysian court

Doan Thi Huong was escorted to court in Malaysia on April 1.

At the trial this morning, the Malaysian prosecutor dropped the murder indictment against Doan Thi Huong, recommending that she be prosecuted for the crime of `intentionally causing injury with a weapon or dangerous method` with a low penalty frame.

Judge Azmin Ariffin announced Doan Thi Huong’s sentence of 3 years and 4 months in prison.

`I’m very happy, this is a fair verdict, a fair verdict. I thank the Vietnamese government and the Malaysian government,` Huong said after the trial ended.

Post Comment